Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Creation of Our Character

Last week I was in Ulaanbaatar for training.  It was so good to see the friends I had gotten to know over the summer.  Towards the end of the week I was ready to go home.  I had mixed feelings about the whole event.  I was glad to spend time with my friends, and I took a lot of good pictures to enable reflection in future years.  This would be the last time I see these folks for 8 months.  At the same time it felt as if I had taken a step backward to the summer, as if the last 3 months had been nearly an illusion.  Now that I’m back home the progress of the 3 months has come back into perspective.  This summer had been one of the most memorable in my life, but now it’s time to progress further beyond it.  




An interesting story came out of last week.  I was almost mugged!  I was with five other volunteers walking from the Sunday market, trying to find a taxi.  As we were walking through a crowded bus stop several guys stepped in our path, throwing off our walking momentum.  After a few seconds they allowed us to get through.  We thought the halt was awkward but kept walking.  About a minute later I felt somebody grab my arms from behind.  I thought it was one of the guys in our group playing around.  Then I looked to my left and saw a second Mongolian guy, in his 20s, holding my left arm.  A third Mongolian man came up in front of me and began unzipping my front pocket where my wallet was kept.  I wondered before how I would react in a situation like this.  Fear wasn’t an option.  In fact, I don’t recall any.  I simply reacted, reached down and grabbed the guy’s hand before he could pull anything out.  He never got a hold of my wallet.  I guess all those years of defending myself from my older brother and dad while wrestling around paid off!  After I was grabbed I was told that Jake, one of the guy volunteers in our group, separated the guys who were holding me from behind.  I feel if Jake weren’t there maybe the robbery would’ve been successful.  While attempting to help me his camera was stolen.  It was a noble sacrifice he made.  I didn’t know how to thank him properly, so I bought him a beer that night.  It’s proof of how close our group has become.  No stalling out of fear of whether it was a good idea to get involved:  reacting in defense of another, valuing the safety of the group.  Standing up for something he thought was intolerable, a defining characteristic.




This past week I have asked myself:  What do I stand for?  What are my defining characteristics?



I grew up with a very strong belief system.  The roots were planted in the Pentecostal doctrine.  I didn’t care how others reacted to me.  I would bring a Bible to school and try to make Christians.  I would go to the flagpole with my friends and pray as others laughed and threw things at us.  I debated strongly against evolution, believing it was established to draw us away from God.  I studied the debate between Creationism and evolution intensely so I knew how to respond to criticism.  I used to think God was a Republican aiming to create a “City on the Hill” in America to be an example to the rest of the world.  This was my character in Yelm, and I was known for it. 



When I went to college (a Methodist university) I felt comfortable to open up.  Taking classes in Christian formation and theology, I began to see the Assembly of God doctrine as one of many.  I started to explore the various doctrines and find commonality between them.  Two commonalities became quite clear and powerful to me:  Love (the greatest commandment and who God is) and its vice, Pride (ego-identification).  I held too much value on the Christian religion itself to explore beyond it yet.  But my mind continued to expand and assess the various images of God.



In 2010 I was at the lowest point in my life.  People told me God had a plan.  I knew this obviously, but it certainly didn’t feel like it.  I read everything I could get my hands on regarding suffering and how to go beyond it.  From the story of Job to neuroscience to the eightfold path of Buddhist philosophy, I began to see that the commonality I discovered in Christianity extended across religious and secular barriers.  Love was universal and could be experienced and expressed by all and in many different ways.  I then discovered that my very ego, my identity, was the dwelling place of pride, the vice that prevented Love from ever flowing.  As I became aware of this ego I became aware of my inner self, that is, the one who allowed the ego to take over my awareness.  I realized I (the inner self) was actually the creator of my identity, not the identity itself.  I could then see how I had allowed my suffering to continue.  I became aware that I could shut off my suffering at any moment by dis-identifying with my identity and my thoughts.  I am not my mind.  With this awareness my suffering disappeared, and my desire to create my life enhanced.  I was coming to know myself (and God) mystically and deeply, not through a mask that was created by man-made religion.  I became aware God was within me every present moment, the Source of my very being.  





As one steps back and sees the identity they have invented they realize they are responsible.  With that responsibility comes both progressive and limiting traits, and with those limiting traits comes suffering.  I sympathize:  bad things happen to good people.  There’s no need to analyze it; they just do.  But that’s it.  Bad things happen to good people.  Nothing to add.  There’s a distinction we must make, I’ve come to discover, if we desire to take control over our own lives and over our own suffering.  That distinction is between the facts and the stories we create in our head.  Fact:  bad things happen to good people.  Story:  every other thought that comes after that.  90% of our thinking is in the realm of story-creating, analyzing the facts.  It’s the frontal lobe of the human mind.  The rest of the animal kingdom doesn’t have this, and they don’t suffer like we do.  Pain is physical; suffering is mental.  Something bad happens and we spend the next 10-20 years of our lives replaying the story in our head.  We analyze and we overthink, seeking some sort of justice for the wrong done to us.  The more we think about it the deeper the neural pathways become.  It’s the power of rational habits.  It’s an addiction.  Bad things will happen again, and we will continue to suffer over and over through mental torment.  Much unneeded suffering is created due to this mind-identification, and we are limited from moving forward with our divine potential.



The greatest tragedy of the human experience is not realizing our potential, and that realization begins with the awareness of the true power we are as the observer and manipulator of our mind.  Once we have gained the power over our mind we have gained the power over our life.  Self-discovery enables one to know one’s true self; self-creation enables one to maximize their greatest potential. 



Upon developing our inner awareness we begin to not only gain power over our mind/ego (and thus control our suffering), but we begin to see its very value as a useful tool in reaching our potentiality.  Our ego is a vehicle.  It may get beaten up on the road.  It may get into some fender-benders.  It will certainly need refueling and repairs.  It may not even make it out alive.  Of course it won’t!  But this vehicle is a gift to be used to reach areas that were unreachable on foot.  Why keep it in the garage to rust because of the fear it may crash?  The vehicle’s purpose is to drive.  The vehicle’s purpose is to explore beyond the garage, the neighborhood, the city, the state, the country.  Going through life it’s tested over and over, and soon the driver realizes he is not the vehicle he drives but the one who operates it.  He starts to become aware of his or her own self as the driver, the one that can turn on and off the car at any moment, the one that decides to make a turn, and the one that pushes the gas pedals harder or breaks.  As the driver begins to trust his or her own ability he or she can drive the vehicle with confidence.  The vehicle they were given now becomes a tool of further expansion and fulfillment.  The driver keeps their vehicle in check, ensuring it is functional and doesn’t lose control again.  As the years pass and the vehicle nears the end of its life, the driver can look at it and smile, thanking it for the journey it enabled him or her to make, for taking him or her to places that only dwelt in the imagination, from turning abstract possibility into reality.  It’s a beautiful story. 



First we are our ego’s character.  Then we start to peel off layers of identity and discover the true power within.  Finally, we recreate our own character based on what we consider our greatest potential.



The question lies: what character do I wish to create?  I’m 26 and feel I’m entering a time of crafting a lasting powerful character.  I’m at a point of my life where I can take the wisdom gained through experience and make it part of an enduring voice.  I have broken down to the core of my being, and now I can rebuild the identity I aspire.  I can be anybody, anything I want to be.  What character will unlock my full potential? 



The vehicle may have been in the garage for years.  It has many more miles to travel. The driver knows who he is now, the creator of his life.  He will ensure he has control over the vehicle.  Now it’s time to turn on the ignition and drive.  


No comments:

Post a Comment