Monday, November 4, 2013

In awe of perfect sound


 Saturday night, November 2, I had a dream.  I was in a small auditorium with a handful of other people.  I don’t remember who all was there.  I do remember one of my fellow PCVs being there, won’t mention any names.  We were all looking forward where a group of young adults started playing instruments and singing.  They sounded amazing.  Perfect harmony, no bad notes, in tune, and beautiful instrumentation.  After the song ended one shorthaired blonde male that played asked if anyone was feeling directed by the Holy Spirit and wanted to come up and perform a song they wrote.  I certainly had no desire to go up there after that perfect performance.  They were smiling and very positive.  I knew they wouldn’t judge.  Or would they?  What song would I do anyway?  “A Call Out to Time?”  “Real Reward?” “The Offering?”  I would definitely need one that applied to both the religious and secular crowds, as both were present in the audience.  After nobody went up we split off into smaller groups.  I then had a piano in front of me and started to play around.   Oh how long it’s been since I felt the keys of a piano!  A girl next to me heard me and was impressed and wanted me to perform it in front of the whole group.  She was about to call out to the other groups when I told her “Please, not in front of everybody.”  I only played as other’s were distracted.  She held back.  Next thing I remember was the entire group was sitting down in a row on the floor.  Soon everybody was enchanted by the singing of the song “His Eye is on the Sparrow.”  For those that knew it, they sang along in leads and harmonies.  For those who didn’t, they were lost in the bliss of the sound.  I started harmonizing (one other guy was in the same harmony as me!).  It was the most beautiful sense of togetherness I had ever heard and felt.  I was soon brought to tears.  The beauty of the moment ran strong; it was unbelievable.  How did I experience this in a dream?  How rare is it to experience beautiful music like this with people you know, with a familiar but not widely known song, that leaves you speechless during and after in the silence?  I’ve never had a dream like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment